SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

You do work that your heart and mind want to do - based on themes that interest you. Then somebody tells you such work as yours has no market. Still do you do the work? Do you create art work to satisfy your heart or the market forces?

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Maurice,

I am self-taught artist and paint just 18 months ago, but I am completely agree with you. Art must comes from your soul.

Kind regards from Spain

Ayla
I create works to satisfy my heart & soul. I don't care what the markets say. Anyway, they are being manipulated by marketing mauvericks to satisfy their greed. I don't want to dance to their tunes. I will do what I want to do not what others want me to do. Period.

maurice dolezal said:
When art is like any other product and becomes a must then it is a job like all other jobs,
In my situation my art comes from the soul and I try just to follow my intution now matter what other people think of say about it and do it already for many years,my creations give me a inner journey while making them and it makes me feel secure in my world,same time it is a challenge each time again,a good exercise for the mind and eye & hand coordination
To come back to the question of somebody taste about your work,then you look for another person who believes in your art
There isn't such a bound in this world then the one of art it speaks to people without words,it touches the heart or the soul or not ,most artists however are clever enough to make compromises and sell what people like them to sell and manwhile they are still able to create besides that what they really want in my huble opinion
maurice
There are as many kinds of Artist as there are definitions of art. There is nothing wrong with being a successful Commercial Artist or Illustrator. These are honorable talents worthy of the highest respect. The question could be put another way. What makes ones efforts or life a Success..? to me the answer is simple. "Did that person do what THEY believed was right." also let us consider The purest definition of an ARTIST is ; "One who seeks the Truth" .
All Artist may not always be seeking a truth an this makes them no less an Artist. I think that most Artist are driven to produce..they are born with or inspired by some unexplainable, perhaps even unconsciousness relentless more over spiritual desire to express , for the better or worse ,regardless of the outcome.

so, how bout that..
Stephen
Salam
The Great Writer Balzac said; good writing comes from writing and rewriting and rewriting and rewriting..and then rewriting again.. let ask ourselves this , How far do we want to go with our Art..? Are we after the Gold Metal or a place beside Rembrandt.. or are we after the Market, nothing wrong with wanting to make money with our hard work and ideas.. I carried an idea for a painting in my head for 5 years and another 2 years painting it over and over and over. I spent one year just trying to paint red Roses..Not that I.m so committed , I'm just lousy..
I never got the red Rose right, have not sold the painting either but I like it. Ask yourself, is this really the best I can do. Hang the work on the wall for a year or so, then look it over again. I have decided at times, I don't think I want to take this piece any farther, I could but I don't want too..
Note; its ok to paint for the Market at times and for the Soul when one desires. You are the Master.
Lastly..Not all Artist's works are meant for the Market..Some very Great Artist's works are too deep or personnel and were never intended to be viewed or Marketed to the general public , Erotic Art just for an example.
Salam
Yes, if you are a bread & butter painter & depend on your art works for livelihood, it is okay if you give importance to market forces. It is easy for me to say, I don't care about market because I don't depend on selling my works for my bread & butter.
I feel all my art works are like my children -brain- children. Somehow I feel sad if somebody pays money & takes them away! If you do that for market, it is like producing children for somebody else- like surrogate motherhood.
I do my work to liberate my mind from the torture I have to endure while conceiving these ideas. However, they keep coming again & again & I try to get them out of my mind. That is how I produce my work. Not to satisfy anybody or anything.



Stephen Hanger said:
There are as many kinds of Artist as there are definitions of art. There is nothing wrong with being a successful Commercial Artist or Illustrator. These are honorable talents worthy of the highest respect. The question could be put another way. What makes ones efforts or life a Success..? to me the answer is simple. "Did that person do what THEY believed was right." also let us consider The purest definition of an ARTIST is ; "One who seeks the Truth" .
All Artist may not always be seeking a truth an this makes them no less an Artist. I think that most Artist are driven to produce..they are born with or inspired by some unexplainable, perhaps even unconsciousness relentless more over spiritual desire to express , for the better or worse ,regardless of the outcome. so, how bout that..
Stephen
Salam
Prince Freakasso said:
Art created by the dictates of the markets smartists,is devoid of freedom! Claustrophobically concocted art, appears tunnel visioned and aimed at a particular market....The Galleries and money driven outfits. An artist should aim to find his own language and the true followers who understand it.The day this becomes his magnificent obsession,his destination will be nigh short of Paradise......PRINCE
Soul satisfaction absolutely . Art i feel is an expression of the self , if there is a commerical factor in ones mind while creating it .. the work will be affected. Again true artists don't really need the consideration unless they cannot do without it . Its another matter they fetch high prices for their works in the art world .

What has market to do with art? Art as beauty is in the eye (and in this case) and the heart / talent of the artist. Art is free.
The entire topic is somewhat immature This sound like the sort of discussion one hears over and over by first year art students . The best thing about being an Artist is that it is the only Profession where you can not lose. If you never sell your work ,then its because you are too far out there to be understood, your too deep , ahead of your time. your just so intuitive and unwilling to compromise your exceptional talent and ability because your a misunderstood Genius. After all your work comes from your heart and soul. Why your another Van-Goah On the other hand if you make a lot of Money, then you are again a Successful Natural Genius ,as you always knew you were, Because your work comes from your heart and soul and your. Your another Picasso .
Van-Goah's life unknowingly to him created a myth about; " The struggling, misunderstood Genus Artist" in that , suffering ,and self sacrifice some how Legitimizes ones Art. Nothing could be father form the truth. The fact is many Artist were and are very very financially successful form their Art work.
The fact of life is ,just because someone crap on canvas in an attempt to reveal their deepest emotions does not make them an Artist. Or maybe it does, in a kind of ," Oh look what my three year old can do" way.
Good Art , is hard work and Great Art is God Damn Hard work..
Like any of the Arts, there is no room for bad Talent. One can be a so-so Dr. or Plumber and still make a living. Not so the Art World. The Art World will Not Tolerate so so Talent. There is lots of room on Top. Getting there, well that is the problem.
Talent...most everyone has some degree of Talent , anyone can draw or sing or dance but if this talent is never developed and guided and coaxed to its fullest potential , then it may remain just , common trite talent.
Lastly; I have studied and painted all my life. I know that am a my degree of talent is somewhat limited an common. I have learned in the end, Art is just art. The Art World builds Great Cathedrals to our Saint Cezanne's and Pope Pizarro's and fills them with their Great works so we may go worship and pay Homage . I do not think that my Creator will be impressed with all my fine paintings when I face him. No , not at all. The Greatest Good anyone can do with their life is to help their fellow Human Beings, all else is meaningless vanity.
Art is just that ;Art..if you enjoy making it, if it makes you or others happy then do it How about painting solely for the Sheer Fun of it. Art has nothing to do with who you are ..its just Art.
Salam
Top Notch work. Original and Highly Marketable ,
This is what I said, how about just painting for fun.The point I was making is that Art does not have to be a, be all, Self absorbing, end all spiritual experience. Lets just try to keep things in some sort of perspective with reality. Its just Art thats it.


Marcelino Ferreiro Paz said:
you see, for me is just a joke, and makes me laugh. It`s not on sale, anyway.

Stephen Hanger said:
Top Notch work. Original and Highly Marketable ,
"Like any of the Arts, there is no room for bad Talent. One can be a so-so Dr. or Plumber and still make a living. Not so the Art World. The Art World will Not Tolerate so so Talent. There is lots of room on Top. Getting there, well that is the problem."
Do you mean to say all the "great artists" produce only top class art? If the art world doesn't tolerate so so talent, more than half of the art work here should have been banned! The truth that it still flourishes, is proof enough to say it tolerates all sorts of art. Some great artists' ordinary works too sell for mind blogging amounts of money. Here artists depend on their names & Investors buy just by seeing the names. Not art. Please see the recent article added in the group ART COLLECTORS MIND READER.
You can read it here: http://artlab.ning.com/group/artcollectorsmindreader/forum/topics/a...
Some get to the top because they are marketing mauvericks not because they are great artists! We are living in a pseudo-world of greatness! What is great to a marketing person might not appeal to an art critic. But what most of the people buy is what marketing person says is great! If a person is not able to sell his art, does it mean he is not producing good art? I feel some great art works fail to attract buyers because they didn't fit into marketing strategies well. When I see the list of great artists, I usually see names only from certain regions of the world. Does it mean there are no great artists in other parts of the world? Come on, we are not fools to believe everything what the art world says.

Stephen Hanger said:
The entire topic is somewhat immature This sound like the sort of discussion one hears over and over by first year art students . The best thing about being an Artist is that it is the only Profession where you can not lose. If you never sell your work ,then its because you are too far out there to be understood, your too deep , ahead of your time. your just so intuitive and unwilling to compromise your exceptional talent and ability because your a misunderstood Genius. After all your work comes from your heart and soul. Why your another Van-Goah On the other hand if you make a lot of Money, then you are again a Successful Natural Genius ,as you always knew you were, Because your work comes from your heart and soul and your. Your another Picasso .
Van-Goah's life unknowingly to him created a myth about; " The struggling, misunderstood Genus Artist" in that , suffering ,and self sacrifice some how Legitimizes ones Art. Nothing could be father form the truth. The fact is many Artist were and are very very financially successful form their Art work. The fact of life is ,just because someone crap on canvas in an attempt to reveal their deepest emotions does not make them an Artist. Or maybe it does, in a kind of ," Oh look what my three year old can do" way. Good Art , is hard work and Great Art is God Damn Hard work..
Like any of the Arts, there is no room for bad Talent. One can be a so-so Dr. or Plumber and still make a living. Not so the Art World. The Art World will Not Tolerate so so Talent. There is lots of room on Top. Getting there, well that is the problem.
Talent...most everyone has some degree of Talent , anyone can draw or sing or dance but if this talent is never developed and guided and coaxed to its fullest potential , then it may remain just , common trite talent.
Lastly; I have studied and painted all my life. I know that am a my degree of talent is somewhat limited an common. I have learned in the end, Art is just art. The Art World builds Great Cathedrals to our Saint Cezanne's and Pope Pizarro's and fills them with their Great works so we may go worship and pay Homage . I do not think that my Creator will be impressed with all my fine paintings when I face him. No , not at all. The Greatest Good anyone can do with their life is to help their fellow Human Beings, all else is meaningless vanity.
Art is just that ;Art..if you enjoy making it, if it makes you or others happy then do it How about painting solely for the Sheer Fun of it. Art has nothing to do with who you are ..its just Art.
Salam
Yes, I totally agree!

Gurmeet said:
Soul satisfaction absolutely . Art i feel is an expression of the self , if there is a commerical factor in ones mind while creating it .. the work will be affected. Again true artists don't really need the consideration unless they cannot do without it . Its another matter they fetch high prices for their works in the art world .

What has market to do with art? Art as beauty is in the eye (and in this case) and the heart / talent of the artist. Art is free.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service