SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

Science is universal in nature where as art has roots in and dependent on the culture it originates from for its evolution. So art was varied from place to place and culture to culture earlier. But globalization is changing all this variation in art and making it look like a stunted pigmy these days.

Everywhere in the World I see the same kind of creative works these days! I
wondered several times why this thing is happening. Because everybody
wants to sell their works & become famous. So they follow famous
creative people & their trends. They stop thinking about new trends.
This kills innovation. Creativity suffers as a result. Don't agree?
Here is the proof from science: 

In his book predictably irrational, author Dan Ariely makes the case that globalization inhibits creativity
and ultimately reduces innovation. His idea is that the concept of ‘one
large market’ reduces the diversity of ideas and approaches to the
problems of today.

To make his point, he uses a passage from The Lost World by Michael Crichton in which the chaos-theory scientist character named Malcolm goes on a pessimistic rant against one of the offshoots of
globalization – cyberspace. Malcolm’s point is that in a world where
everyone is connected, creativity, innovation and ultimately, evolution
will suffer.

The idea that the whole world is wired together is mass death. Every biologist knows that small groups in isolation evolve fastest. You put a thousand birds on a ocean island, and they’ll evolve very fast.
You put ten thousand on a big continent, and their evolution slows down.
Now, for our own species, evolution occurs mostly through our behavior.
We innovate new behavior to adapt. And everyone on earth knows that
innovation only occurs in small groups. Put three people on a committee
and they may get something done. Ten people, and it gets harder. Thirty
people, and nothing happens. Thirty million, it becomes impossible.
That’s the effect of mass media–it keeps anything from happening. Mass
media swamps diversity. It makes every place the same–Bangkok or Tokyo
or London: there’s a McDonald’s on one corner, a Benetton on another, a
Gap across the road. Regional differences vanish. All differences
vanish. In a mass-media world, there’s less of everything except top ten
books, records, movies and ideas. People worry about losing species
diversity in the rain forest. But what about intellectual diversity–our
most necessary resource? That’s disappearing faster than trees. But we
haven’t figured that out, so now we’re planning to put five billion
people together in cyberspace. And it’ll freeze the entire species.
Everything will stop dead in it’s tracks. Everyone will think the same
thing at the same time. Global uniformity…

Yes, I fully agree with the author Dan Ariely.  Benefits from Internet & Globalization? - Yes. Cultural Evolution? -No!

Go to any art website & observe the trends in creativity.

Only a hand full of people have the courage to go against the tide. Only these people can innovate & become trend setters. Others are just  trend followers. Majority of the people belong to this second
group. In the Cyberspace you assume a global identity & your
cultural identity is lost. The culture you are born into becomes
secondary & its influence on your creativity gets affected. Cultural
differences - which are very essential for creative evolution - get
diminished.   Doesn't "true creativity" suffer in these circumstances?

What do you think? Please let me know.

(Effects of globalization on creative  evolution is the main topic here. Not creativity or benefits of cyber space.

And now proof from various parts of the globe:

Creative Evolution: A theory similar to that of biological evolution, which argues that human creativity changes gradually throughout time, as a
result of a number of cultural processes.
Culture is an integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that
depends upon the capacity for symbolic thought and social learning
Sorry, I don't see "evolution in creativity". Yes, there is evolution in marketing, evolution in finding new ways to show your art to the world, evolution in following trends created by some people, evolution in new media & technological usage. I want to see true creative evolution of art in all this. This happens only when artists from different parts of the world can find new trends based on true cultural basis in which they are embedded. Not by following a single global culture!

One of the  most important things that enriches culture is variety of thoughts! Are you thinking your own thoughts? Or are you, like too many people these days, blindly and unconsciously seeing the world through the beliefs, convictions, and assertions of others?

You might not know this: In India - for that matter in several parts of the world - in which there was a rich cultural diversity earlier, most of the art forms are becoming extinct. Yes, earlier we had several types of folk music, puppetry, some sort musical story telling on stage - we call it "Burra Katha" & "Hari Katha", rural painting forms, regional painting art works on clothes - all these forms of art are disappearing! Why? Because nobody is encouraging them & nobody is following them because they don't have a market. New globalized market which wants to follow only certain trends doesn't encourage these things. As people who are creative in these art forms cannot earn their livelihood through these they are discarding them & following pop music or painting that the global market wants! And it is happening all over the world. Most of the art forms that belong to different cultures are becoming extinct & this is a fact! I have seen with my own eyes all these things disappearing! There are lots & lots of complaints coming from all parts of the world. I have read several reports myself. Here we are not only talking about individual's creativity levels but also on global creative terms! The world has rich cultural heritage. Most of it is on the brink of extinction.  I am sure our creativity is not limited to fine arts. )

Views: 1907

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The themes and discussions prove the importance of analyzing aspects of globalization's influences on

creativity.

From my studies I detached a regenerative vector  ( Utility, Needs, Satiety)     that I present in

Bioptical Art : Psychical satiety in affectivity

to be discussed

Excerpts

This item is added to my publication:

15. Psychical satiety in affectivity

I keep coming back to the main idea noting that a vector can be defined
that reported psycho-physiological to the structure of would have dimensions:

Utility, Needs, Satiety 

This vector could get qualifications:
-minor interest
-applicable in limited situations to developments by intelligence.
-of survival.
-as an attribute of life, in contact with the environment by adapting
reflex:  response (of contact agent) favorable - unfavorable.
- Divine vector

As fine art applications, to the attention of professional artists who feel limited by technical means.

The artists obsessed by their style, whose imminent subconscious emphasizes the role of everlastingness and progress in communication by means of fine art, will find out all about the way to create forms for a different contemplation modality.
See www.artabioptica.ro

The study of currents, movements, styles and manifestos of fine arts, tarting with Impressionism, as aroused interest in some questions:

- Why are there so many currents in a relatively brief historic period?
- Why have artists given up generous ideas and valuable contents after only a few years from their appearance?
- Is this only a quest for originality?
- Why do they rather quickly satiate affective experiences and are turned to account as decorative elements? 

The causes are multiple, but could be considered a psychic saturation (satiety).

In connection with this, I quote a doctoral thesis, in which results of experiments, extending the concept of satiety, at physical state
of activity 

2. Satiety may comprise very different areas of preoccupations and situations. You can saturate to interpret a particular study at the piano or even interpret, studies, in other cases not only studies but in general to play at the piano, and even to be saturated of music in general, so it was not you can listen or an opera or a concert. (translated from German) (1)

My research topic concerns the extension of research in communication of fine art, but think also interesting to extend the concept of satiety at affectivity.

How physical life includes intelligence, affectivity and activity propose for discussion some phrases.

In the genetic program would be a vector, utility- need- satiety. 

Satiety feedback would appear on need be. A cyclic dynamics can also be noticed in the relation need – satiety as follows:
-Need is presented cyclically in succession with satiety. 
-Primitive needs have a higher frequency (are installed in time more frequently) than the educated ones.
-Educated needs have a lower frequency, to the extent of an affiliation more remote from primitive needs, some of them become non-periodic (figure 15.1).

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service