SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

I have seen two  or three varieties of gesso at Himalaya Bookworld at Punjagutta.Lot's of artists use the good old PEBEO that you get here,but SAAREMISONS in the lane opp RBI

at Abids has a variety of art materials,and they also get you any item you want from their

international catalogues. Of course nothing like making your own.In fact I plan to buy my own canvas cloth and treat it for the purpose of my painting if I'm successful with what I'm seeking,the quality of the work will improve considerably.Lets wait and see.Do check SAAREMISONS out you'll find many things there.....PRINCE

Views: 248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Prince.
Dear Marcelino,
I now have a nice friend like you from Argentina,home of Diego Maradona and the legendary Ernesto (Che Guevera).You have brought back memories!My father used to write for the Time and Life magazines USA. And was close to Fidel Castro and had met up with Che Guevera before his death in Columbia in 66 or 67. I remember my father had also met Pablo Picasso regarding his painting' Guernica' and written about him also, as he had become famous, but by a strange coincidence my father was a good friend of Generalissimo Francisco Franco,who was the dictator President of Spain,and he hated Picasso and wanted to kill him.Strange world Hah? The canvas I was talking about,is you know the plain porous canvas cloth?I want to prime it with some kind of treatment;wherein the absorbency is not lost,so that I can manipulate the paint more on the canvas.
You know acrylic how it dries so fast,it becomes difficult to handle the paint sometimes and this is what I'm struggling with.Any suggestions, ideas or inputs that you have would be truly welcome,as it would help a lot.
God Bless.....PRINCE
Dear Paz,
thanks for your prompt reply! Actually there is no problem with watercolour or oil paint because it can be manipulated,but acrylic dries so fast that it becomes hart to push around and blend.Thats why I want some kind of absorbant ability on the canvas,so that it stays wet and moist for some time.How do we keep the canvas wet and moist,if the the surface is the normal smooth type?Any ideas,thoughts,suggestions?Because this is a big problem on my mind.
Sincere regards,
PRINCE
I buy gesso- treated canvas from Nagarjuna Agency near Taj Hotel in Abids. I found that the best way to work with acrylics is through glazing. Take some acrylic and add water to it. The ratio should be 50:50 -don't add more than 50% water -otherwise the paint loses it sticking quality. Then spread it on gesso treated canvas with a brush. Let it dry completely. Then do the same thing again & again 5-6 times. After 5-6 coats, the acrylic gets uniform consistency. If you add some water, acrylic paint won't get dry soon. I learned this technique by reading an article on the internet. In the beginning I used to work with thick acrylic that got dried easily. Then I used to prefer oils. But oils are getting faded after some time. Don't know why. Moreover, they are gathering dust. Now I don't have any problem with acrylics so I am using acrylics more often.

Prince Freakasso said:
Dear Marcelino,
I now have a nice friend like you from Argentina,home of Diego Maradona and the legendary Ernesto (Che Guevera).You have brought back memories!My father used to write for the Time and Life magazines USA. And was close to Fidel Castro and had met up with Che Guevera before his death in Columbia in 66 or 67. I remember my father had also met Pablo Picasso regarding his painting' Guernica' and written about him also, as he had become famous, but by a strange coincidence my father was a good friend of Generalissimo Francisco Franco,who was the dictator President of Spain,and he hated Picasso and wanted to kill him.Strange world Hah? The canvas I was talking about,is you know the plain porous canvas cloth?I want to prime it with some kind of treatment;wherein the absorbency is not lost,so that I can manipulate the paint more on the canvas.
You know acrylic how it dries so fast,it becomes difficult to handle the paint sometimes and this is what I'm struggling with.Any suggestions, ideas or inputs that you have would be truly welcome,as it would help a lot.
God Bless.....PRINCE
How do you deal with the these problems when you use oils? Oil paintings are getting faded. They gather dust while we keep them for drying. Is there a solution to this problem?

Marcelino Ferreiro Paz said:
If you can deal with oil, as tou say, and your trouble is acrilics drying too fast my advice is:
1.- don`t make any preparation of the canvas. nothing. no gesso. nothing.
2.- use canvas 100% sintetic, the one is used for digital printings.(as many choises as you don`t imagine)
3.-wet the canvas as much as you need with water or acrilic thinnering.
4.-the result is a 100% inorganic .
5.-see you having your problem completly solved.
There are other options, ask as much as you want, even show me some of your paintings to situate myself as if I was you and give you the very right advice, incase something better comes to my mind.
What`s the % of cotton you usually buy?, give me this detail.Kind of 60% sintetic and 40% cotton ????
Don`t you please forget canvas preparations are sintetics, inorganic.Cotton is not.Waiting four an answer. PAZ

Prince Freakasso said:
Dear Paz,
thanks for your prompt reply! Actually there is no problem with watercolour or oil paint because it can be manipulated,but acrylic dries so fast that it becomes hart to push around and blend.Thats why I want some kind of absorbant ability on the canvas,so that it stays wet and moist for some time.How do we keep the canvas wet and moist,if the the surface is the normal smooth type?Any ideas,thoughts,suggestions?Because this is a big problem on my mind.
Sincere regards,
PRINCE
Dear Paz,
thanks for your reply! Actually what i mean is,before the canvas manufacturer can prepare the canvas for the market,it is just like white gunny bag cloth and can be soaked just like any ordinary cloth.Now this is definitely cotton.Now on this the manufacturers treat the surface with their own gesso treatment ,with all synthetic material; which makes it shiny,slippery and smooth.But your suggestion to soak the entire canvas with lots of water I will try.
I will also show you some work in my next post,so you will be able to see what I'm meaning.
Regards
PRINCE
Dear Dr.Krishna,
You can try buying art material from a stationary shop called Jaya Engineering,it is located on Nampally station road,a little after you pass Royal stationary on the same road,you will find it near a lane on the right hand side.
You can contact Somesh,he will give you all materials at a good discount.You can also contact Nirmal Kuhad as he is
a man who brings together artists for group shows and things.He can be found at PARAS PAPERS near Koti at
Gowliguda road,Putli Bowli,Near Patthar ki Masjid.To answer the question on Oils,well I have used oils from a boy,
and of course painting in Oils is a real joy.You have to paint in a dust free room,and never sweep or clean the room while the painting is exposed.Depending on the colours used,the duration of drying will depend;with flake
white and raw sienna drying the fastest and Alizarin crimson and black the slowest,which would fall into the spectrum of 2-10 days.
As the drying painting has the tendency to attract static ensure to turn the easel with the painting you're working
on towards the wall after you've finished with it.I have never had this problem of colour fade,maybe you can expose the paintings to sunlight sometimes to retain their tints or hues,as this doe's help.
You can also use fast drying imported oil mediums for time bound works.A little expensive but worth the price.
Sincere Wishes,
PRINCE
Dear Paz check this out!
Go to my photos page and look at the paintings and you will understand what I'm looking for.
1.Les Homme Naturalis
2.Le Seigneur Ganesha These paintings 1 and 2 were done with watercolour in unorthodox style.

3.Les Savage Pablo Picasso
4.Les Corne Homme Both were done with very thin acrylic,almost like water.

5.Les Brulure Mariee
6.Les Homme Alarmer Many, many layers of paint were used for certain texture effects with acrylics.

7.Apres Les Crucifixion Oil on canvas in divisionistic style,flat and blended for delienation of spaces.
8.Otia Dant Vitia Oil on canvas using line and surrealism.

9.Les Homme Voler Acrylic on canvas conventional usage of minimalism and negative space.

10.Les Troubler Faun Surreal blend of acrylic expedited on canvas.It is this effect that I want from the
acrylics. This was a canvas cloth on stretcher,which was treated with gesso by an
artist and given to me.When I asked him for his formula? "He said trade secret!"
I sell most of my paintings,but this one I have kept just for this canvas,to try to find
out if I can find the solution of it's base.

See what you can find out and let me know.
Sincere Regards
PRINCE
Yes Paz I like that! Garden without flowers thing.Not my secret,I have no secrets.That was my friend keeping
the secret.Les Homme Naturalis is on paper,and you're right acrylics can do the same thing.You don't think you
can classify Les Savage Pablo Picasso as surrealistic?Fine! 3'x2' means 3feet high,2feet wide. I have tried retarder
gel with acrylics but not satisfied with the results.I'm fine with oil paint,it's my favourite medium.I'm looking
for answers to blending with acrylics that will give the oil painting look.Any answers,solutions are welcome.
This is my mail ID:princefreakasso@gmail.com

Regards
PRINCE
Thanks. I don't use easel! I just put the sheet on a table & paint it! I feel- as the sheet will be in a horizontal position while drying, the dust gets settled on the painting! Some of the oils, especially mauve, blue & pink are getting faded. White takes a longer time to get dry.
I heard there are gray & black gessos too. Do we get black gesso coated canvas here?

Prince Freakasso said:
Dear Dr.Krishna,
You can try buying art material from a stationary shop called Jaya Engineering,it is located on Nampally station road,a little after you pass Royal stationary on the same road,you will find it near a lane on the right hand side.
You can contact Somesh,he will give you all materials at a good discount.You can also contact Nirmal Kuhad as he is
a man who brings together artists for group shows and things.He can be found at PARAS PAPERS near Koti at
Gowliguda road,Putli Bowli,Near Patthar ki Masjid.To answer the question on Oils,well I have used oils from a boy,
and of course painting in Oils is a real joy.You have to paint in a dust free room,and never sweep or clean the room while the painting is exposed.Depending on the colours used,the duration of drying will depend;with flake
white and raw sienna drying the fastest and Alizarin crimson and black the slowest,which would fall into the spectrum of 2-10 days.
As the drying painting has the tendency to attract static ensure to turn the easel with the painting you're working
on towards the wall after you've finished with it.I have never had this problem of colour fade,maybe you can expose the paintings to sunlight sometimes to retain their tints or hues,as this doe's help.
You can also use fast drying imported oil mediums for time bound works.A little expensive but worth the price.
Sincere Wishes,
PRINCE
Dear Dr.Krishna,a painting which is laid down horizontally gathers dust very easily,theres no doubt about that.
The colours,mauve,blue and pink have the tendency to fade.But can be corrected by exposing to some sunlight,to
enliven the pigment.Also try to get good quality oils.I don't know which ones your using?

The white you are using may be Zinc,or Titanium so they take about 8 days to dry.Flake white drie's in two days.
We do get grey and black gessoed canvasses,I have seen them with a shop on Avenue road in Bangalore,and also in a
shop near Crawford Market in Mumbai.(New name Jyotibai Phule Market). But you could very easily add greyor
black synthetic stainer to white gesso to get the same thing.
Sincere Regards
PRINCE
Hi Paz you did a beautiful painting.It's really nice.I also visited your links you sent me and saw your other lovely works.Of course it was in Spanish,so I was able to understand maybe 60%.As my mother is Portuguese and comes
from Lisboa ,that is proper Lisbon,understanding Spanish is not too difficult.My mothers family has funny surnames.Campose,Mergulhao,Carvalho, Carlos,Santos etc,etc,.In fact my late father came from England
but used to speak Spanish fluently.One of my greatest ever heroes is the great bull fighter,Manuel Benitez.
He was better known as Manolo and El Cordobes because he came from Cordoba in Spain.Till today he remains
the greatest thing next to my heart.Yes the blended Scotch and Malt whiskies,I've been into enough of them as I spent many years in the hospitality industry playing the role of a competent sommelier with a tastevin round my neck and a thief in my hand.Of course we have the famous Portofino,but Spain has got some fantastic ones which
I enjoyed in many parts of the world.Muersault,Marsala,Barolo,Valpolicella,Manzanilla and a whole lot more,topped up with some crunchy pimento stuffed Manzanilla or Fragata Olives for accompaniment.
Real great stuff this!The fortified Sherry's from Madeira are also fantastic.

Yes getting a good photograph of one's painting is a tricky job,especially as the cameras these days are digital.
You sometimes get the wrong colours coming into the photograph.Also too much glare.
Not only Gel with pigment,but also mixed with acrylic medium the pigments do fine.
What oils do you feel are the best? I've used MAX,Rowney Georgian,Griffin,Artisti,Messini,Grumbacher ,Van Gogh and a whole lot of others,but currently I'm using standard Camel artist colours.As a boy I used to have boxes of Windsor and Newton and Reeves colours.I also had dozens of Windsor and Newton brushes which my
father would get from England.Camel hair,Squirrel hair and Kolinsky Sable hair.Today to get these brushes is only a dream,as the world has switched to synthetic,due to a ban on killing animals.

I'm thinking of doing really large size Murals. What do you think of this idea?......PRINCE

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service