SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

Q: What is your favourite art work and why?

Picture source: Google images

And why do I like this art work? Or why does anybody like any art work? Well, as a person of science I would like to put it in a scientific way. It has everything to do with neuro-aesthetics.

What is it? Neuroesthetics (or neuroaesthetics) is a relatively recent sub-discipline of empirical aesthetics. Empirical aesthetics takes a scientific approach to the study of aesthetic perceptions of art and music. Neuroesthetics received its formal definition in 2002 as the scientific study of the neural bases for the contemplation and creation of a work of art. Neuroesthetics uses neuroscience to explain and understand the aesthetic experiences at the neurological level.

While much of neuroaesthetics deals with the visual and perceptual processing of art, that's not where the field stops -- imaging studies are revealing a plethora of brain regions activated when we experience art. Not only are visual and perceptual processes involved, but also reward pathways and areas of the brain like the prefrontal cortex, which are involved in evaluative judgments. The prefrontal cortex's role in experiencing art isn't surprising -- it's involved in many aspects of higher-order cognition, like decision-making as well as planning and moderating complex behaviors. Regions of the prefrontal cortex have been implicated in both aesthetic judgments and the aesthetic emotional experience. Our response to art always has an element of appraisal that has to do not only with a work's visual properties, but also with the context it's presented in and our knowledge of its history. . Neuroaesthetics -- as evident from even its name -- often overlooks the fact that art does not have to be beautiful: context and history play a crucial role in our judgments.

I have a great AFFINITY towards intellect. It gives me a high. Whenever, I see ''The Thinker", it rewards my brain! Why? Because the work denotes intelligence, logic, critical thinking, philosophy, literature, science, art, poetry and several other things I am associated with! In a way I am familiar with this type of intellectual pursuits. I can relate to it in a big way!

Krishna: Famous or not there will be some unintended ‘mistakes’ in most paintings, sometimes created by illusions. I myself faced a similar illusion in one of my works.

DISMANTLING-THE-WALL-BETWEEN-THE-WORLD-OF-SCIENCE-AND-ORDINARY-WORLD

AS-80-DISMANTLING-THE-WALL-BETWEEN-THE-WORLD-OF-SCIENCE-AND-ORDINARY-WORLD

The left part of the wall and the right part of the wall start and end at the same height on the canvas. But the left part looks as if it is at a higher level! I noticed this illusion only after completing the work!

I wonder how the people in 22nd or 23rd centuries interpret my work! :)

Views: 24

Replies to This Discussion

RSS

© 2018   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service