SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

Two days back while I was searching for synonyms and antonyms for some words on internet dictionary sites, I was shocked to see that on some of them art was given as an antonym for science! The gray cells of my brain went into intense activity immediately and started analyzing scientific and artistic sides of my personality and mind to see whether there was any truth in it.

Although science and art are dealt in two different ways, developed and evolved as two separate fields, they are coming together again in recent times. Art and science are related in several ways ( please read my thoughts on this subject here:  http://kkartlab.in/group/scienceart ). According to old misconceptions, creativity comes mostly from the emotionally charged right part of the brain that doesn't deal with things rationally and logically. Scientific theories and thoughts originate in the other part of the brain (there are different theories that are coming out about functions of different parts of the brain in recent times, and the left part for science and right part for art is not actually correct according to these and whole brain works at different degrees in all most everything we do). Left brain or right brain works doesn't mean they are completely opposite. Leonardo da Vinci  disproved that these two fields are poles apart and  couldn't be dealt with a single brain at the same time. It is my endeavour to prove that these two fields could be brought together and made to live in harmony in a single box of grey matter.

I can use all parts of my brain simultaneously without any problem. Even while creating art works, I can think rationally and logically. Science has influence on my art and art too has some influence on my scientific thinking. In my mind I don't see worlds of difference between these two fields. 

Yes, science demands thinking at higher levels with logic and rationale. Creating art is easy and you walk here on a beaten track and the destination is preconceived in the mind of the creator. Scientific exploration is much more difficult and complex and one has to create new paths into unknown lands.

Although human emotions (yes, you can work in the field you love) come into picture in the scientific field - as is the case with all the ones where people are involved - they are not important at all like in the field of art. Therefore, a scientific mind tries to keep emotions at bay while working and this is important to clear the path while searching for truth and facts. It cannot allow emotions to fog the picture. A scientist cannot say " Because I love this - this is the truth!" or " Because I believe in this theory - this must be a fact!"

An artist has this luxury of emotions playing a major part in his work. He can push all rationale out of the window and say, " Because I love this - this is the truth and therefore I can create my work very beautifully!" He can live in a world of illusion or dreams if he wants. And there is no harm in it as long as his beliefs don't harm or affect others drastically. And in an emotionally charged right part of the brain creative sparks originate, develop and flourish.

A poet describes the moon as a beautiful object. An artist paints it in all splendid colours. An astrophysicist sees it as a natural satellite of earth with rocks and no atmosphere or life. When I think about moon as an artist, I feel happy because I could see it as an object of beauty - shining like a silver ball in the dark sky. And when I think about moon as a person from the field of science, I can still see the beauty of scientific theories like gravity, time, space and how wonderfully they are followed in this universe. Science too has a pretty view!

Now am I thinking as a creative person or as a person of rational thinking? Do these thoughts from different angles drastically change the perception of beauty? Not at all! These things don't have a clearly marked line between them in my mind! Then how can they be separate?! I feel these things are associated with human training of the mind. Your beliefs, dogmas, thoughts, opinions could have tremendous affect on how you perceive things in the art world. And science doesn't give you this choice. You got to see them in the true way in the latter case. With the right attitude you can see beauty of things both scientifically and artistically at the same time. You can think rationally about art too! Maybe I am lucky to be able to view the world from two different angles and  still see the beauty of it all!

There is a leaf or a flower. An artist enjoys the beauty of it superficially - yes only superficially. A scientist takes the help of a microscope or a spectrometer and sees the inside beauty as well. Believe me the whole picture is more beautiful  - as you go to cellular, molecular and atomic levels to understand it fully - you see more rhythm and beauty in the creations of nature. The experience of observing nature in its full splendor is more wonderful and thrilling. It is a new world. Trying to understand the world fully  is a heavenly feeling. A scientist can see more in this world than an artist!

Although scientific way of seeing things is deep, it is only an extension or expansion of observing beauty artistically. I don't think these two are opposite  ways. When artists try to draw pictures of what they see outside, scientists try to construct things that are deep inside. While artists see only a part of the picture, scientists see the whole picture!

An artist can close his mind whenever he wants and can still go ahead with his work (here "closing mind" refers to new thoughts, ideas and work of other people not about his own work or hand movements!!)   but in Science if you close your mind, that will be the end of your journey! This is because in art people create isolated works of different types but in science most of the work is inter-dependent as we live in an universe that is governed by the same laws of Nature!

You can break rules ( formulated by some people although they are not absolute ones) while creating art and can still produce masterpieces and in science if you don't follow rules of the nature, disaster strucks and you will be doomed ( can you disobey laws of gravity etc. while sending rockets into space?!) .

Yes, in art you have more freedom than in science.

In Science your work speaks for itself and you but in art you got to speak for your art and promote yourself to succeed.

These differences are not big enough to make art antonym for science.

Has at any time a conflict occurred in my mind because of art and science residing side by side there? No. Never!

Drawing figures of all that I see and observe in the scientific studies, research and exploration is a part of my work. I never think or treat it as a different field or entity. It is a part of science! If drawing figures is also art - how can it be an antonym for science? I don't understand how anyone can throw these two into opposite sides and say science and art are antonyms for each other! People who can use their brains  holistically  can disprove this antonym myth.

Just because the left part of the brain is more active in scientists and the right part in artists, can we say they are opposite? It is the same brain  ( or the same mind) that is working! A scientist can make the right part of his brain active too like I do and an artist can become a rational- thinking person. My mind and brain work as a single unit both when I am creating art and working on science problems. Maybe because I mostly create art works based on science and science is integral part of whatever I do, I don't see much difference. Yes, there are differences between how a scientist works and how an artist works but they are not completely opposite! My mind says: Battle of right brain vs. left brain?  Why not use both?

Sorry, my rational and logical thinking mind doesn't allow me to put science and art on opposite poles. And I can say with confidence that anybody who tries to create rift between these two doesn't know how to use his or her brain the right way!

PS...

(Here, in this part of the world, people say when your works and deeds help others and the society in general  in any possible way that is the right way of doing things. If they cause harm and ill will, that is the wrong way! Of course these are relative terms and definitions for right and wrong differ from place to place.)

Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa

Copyright © 2011

Views: 1704

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, everybody. I am Prof. Anand from Australia. I just joined this interesting network, flew around a little bit and finally landed on this page. Dr. Krishna is doing a good job. I have a complaint though. Why is she wasting her time fighting bullies? Krishna, I am sure you have better things to do.

One Mr. Stewart, hello, mate, you seem to have some  knowledge in Physics! But I am afraid you are after pseudo-science like krishna said and you are trying to intimidate her into accepting it! Very bad, mate!

I am a Professor.

Dr. Krishna, you  deserve a better treatment for all the hard work you do here. Think about it.  

Thank you, Professor, for your kind words. What do you expect me to do? Not everybody would  think like you. In this world we have to deal with all sorts of people. Everything is before you to see and judge! I want to have a private discussion with you in this matter.  Let us see what we can do about it. I am sending you a message right now. Please give me reply as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Krishna

Anand G.V. said:

Hello, everybody. I am Prof. Anand from Australia. I just joined this interesting network, flew around a little bit and finally landed on this page. Dr. Krishna is doing a good job. I have a complaint though. Why is she wasting her time fighting bullies? Krishna, I am sure you have better things to do.

One Mr. Stewart, hello, mate, you seem to have some  knowledge in Physics! But I am afraid you are after pseudo-science like krishna said and you are trying to intimidate her into accepting it! Very, bad, mate!

I am a Professor of Physics.

Dr. Krishna, you  deserve a better treatment for all the hard work you do here. Think about it.  

Dear Krishna: after Prof. Anand words, did you feel any lack of respect?. Please, express yourself about it. PAZ

don't be afraid Anand, i'm not after pseudo-science...

how about you ? let's see...

according to your activity feed, you left your comment here exactly 18 minutes after joining the network... so that means that you had only 18 minutes to actually read the original text and the whole discussion, to follow the links and check the references, and to watch the videos... by the way, the combined duration of the 3 videos posted in the discussion is actually over 17 minutes...

tell us, did you watch all 3 of them ? tell us, did you read everything ?

you wouldn't lie to people would you ?

so i challenge you : instead of simply discounting my statements, please show us how i'm wrong... please demonstrate how the quotes of the famous Nobel prize winning scientists are wrong... please demonstrate how the informations presented in the videos are wrong... please demonstrate how the findings of quantum physics are pseudo-science...

please show us your knowledge of such matters so that we can believe your claims, surely, a professor of physics would know about these things, wouldn't he ? 

you wouldn't let your fellow human beings in the dark about this, would you ?

until you properly demonstrate this, your words here have no weight... in fact, you could be just anybody claiming to be a Professor in Physics...

you say that i'm trying to intimidate someone else into accepting my beliefs... but that's exactly what you yourself are doing right now... very bad mate ! stop bullying and start backing up you claims...

Anand G.V. said:

One Mr. Stewart, hello, mate, you seem to have some  knowledge in Physics! But I am afraid you are after pseudo-science like krishna said and you are trying to intimidate her into accepting it! Very, bad, mate!

for those who might be wondering about the « 18 minutes » remark : 

http://kkartlab.in/activity/log/list?fmt=rss&screenName=0gtd9i4...

Yes, Dr. Krishna, my dear, I would definitely help you. Tell your mate here that  I rushed through the pages several minutes before joining this network. He thinks he is a genius. Tell him I don't waste my time by dealing with such empty vessels!
Tell him I am not you to fall into his trap. He has  dragged you into a rut and he is trying to do the same to me.

Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa said:

Thank you, Professor, for your kind words. What do you expect me to do? Not everybody would  think like you. In this world we have to deal with all sorts of people. Everything is before you to see and judge! I want to have a private discussion with you in this matter.   Let us see what we can do about it. I am sending you a message right now. Please give me reply as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Krishna

Anand G.V. said:

Thank you, Paz, for asking. I don't expect respect from members here. We are all friends here and if people treat me like a friend that is more than enough for me. But some people are hell bent on attacking me just because I tried to expose them. In the name of love, they are spreading hatred by making baseless allegations.  I had enough of it. I don't want to waste my time anymore. I will definitely do something about it. Right now I am in the middle of a discussion with Prof. Anand. We just met on line but we are already good friends. That is how friends should be. He is helping me in taking a decision. Very soon you will see the result. 

Thank you once again

Krishna

Marcelino Ferreiro Paz said:
Dear Krishna: after Prof. Anand words, did you feel any lack of respect?. Please, express yourself about it. PAZ

just like i thought... not even a single demonstration, nothing to back up his claims...

nothing but wind... and insults... and even worse than that... 

from Anand's first comment :

Hello, everybody. I am Prof. Anand from Australia. I just joined this interesting network, flew around a little bit and finally landed on this page.

from Anand's second comment :

Tell your mate here that  I rushed through the pages several minutes before joining this network.

those two statements look awfully contradictory Anand... you wouldn't be lying to us by any chance, would you ?

this speaks a lot louder than your claims, don't you think ?

have a great week folks ! :o)

Anand G.V. said:

Yes, Dr. Krishna, my dear, I would definitely help you. Tell your mate here that  I rushed through the pages several minutes before joining this network. He thinks he is a genius. Tell him I don't waste my time by dealing with such empty vessels! 

What is happening here? I feel very sad. But, I will have to take some harsh decisions for the sake of this network. For the sake of everybody's sanity. Sorry.

how about taking the following decision : love is the only answer...

whatever you feel you have to do, please do it wholeheartedly...

be well dear Krishna... ;o)

I don't mind people expressing their opinions. But there should be a decent atmosphere and a friendly way of doing things and at the end of it all everybody should feel happy.  Insults, intimidation, bullying, attacking is not the right way to go into forum discussions. Not everybody will be experts in everything. Accepting this is the first step to rectify the inadequacy. If the other person's behaviour  is intimidating, people refuse to accept their inadequacies. Instead of understanding it and removing the curtains, if people intimidate and ridicule more, such confrontations occur. English -speaking members should try to understand the problems faced by non- English speaking members and not ridicule them when they don't understand it the right way.

Different people coming from different parts of the world will have different opinions and different ways of expressing them. Criticizing people for their way of doing things, ridiculing them  and ripping them apart and refusing to accept the rules of the forum make people very unhappy and bitter. Is this all necessary? If there are better ways for doing things, why should we choose the worst way and get punished for it?

Having knowledge is not enough. Interpreting it in a clear way is more important. If knowledge is allowed to be clouded by other things, everything becomes hazy and people on the other side might  misread it. I myself misread other members' opinions several times because of this.

Even after explaining things, if people refuse to accept it and repeat the same abuses over and over again what can you say? There will be a limit to toleration. There will be a threshold between relationships in these networks that people should never cross. Once you cross it, that would be the end of the relationship. Despite knowing the secrets and inadequacies of people I deal with, I pretend that I don't know about these things and go about normally to make the relationships work better. But if this is taken as weakness and people try to dominate, i am sorry, I will have to react.

I want to learn, but that learning should be done in a friendly manner not like the master- slave way of doing things. 

Everybody here is mature enough to understand these things. Then why do people still do them? Don't they realize what they are doing is causing great inconvenience to other people?

I request all the members here to cooperate with me in running this network smoothly and in a friendly way.

Thank You

Krishna

This speech was a good start, then degenerated into a chaos crazy, do not understand what you mean, the prof.Ananda Australia would do better to go at a gallop by a kangaroo!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service