SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

Another pain of explaining things when study findings are not put before people properly

10th Aug., 2015

Did you think CNG is safe? Then think again says CSIR chief.
Exhaust from CNG vehicles contains nano carbon particles, needs to be studied seriously: CSIR chief
The natural gas (CNG)-run buses are harmful for humans as they emit 'nano carbon' particles which can cause cancer, according to a study conducted by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). Though the study was conducted on a very limited sample size in Delhi, CSIR took the findings seriously owing to the health hazard it poses to humans and alerted the Central government for further follow up, CSIR's Director General Dr M O Garg said on 7th Aug., 2015.

A study conducted by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) claims buses that run on compressed natural gas (CNG) emit 'nanocarbon' particles that can cause cancer. While the study was conducted on a limited sample size in Delhi, CSIR alerted the central government due to the severity of the threat it poses to the health of the residents.

The study was conducted along with a professor from Alberta University, who has developed a device to measure and analyze particles emitted by vehicles. This machine was installed on the exhaust of a natural gas-run DTC bus in Delhi.

The study can change the perception that natural gas is a clean fuel as it does not emit any visible smoke, which is in contrast to smoke emitted by diesel-run vehicles and perceived as harmful for humans.

He explained, "Natural gas is supposed to be a clean fuel when used in internal combustion engines, right? But, I don't think people realize that what you see (smoke) is perhaps better than what you don't see (no smoke from CNG vehicles). Can you imagine that we found nanocarbon particles coming out of from natural gas combustion. These particles are moving around in the atmosphere and going straight into your lungs through your nose. It then enters into your blood through membranes."

Dr Garg said these nanocarbon particles are carcinogenic, and the government has been alerted about its effects.

Warning : But this is not a published work.  And my instincts tell me something is wrong here and it could be an erroneous  representation of facts - Krishna.

12th Aug., 2015

Now read this news that says my guess is right:

Misrepresentation of findings of new CSIR study:

( I have warned you then, remember!)

Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) has condemned the recent attempt to misrepresent the findings of the new study that has been jointly carried out by the CSIR, IIP-Dehradun and University of Alberta.

The statements from CSIR have claimed, without presenting the full study and the facts in the public domain, that CNG buses emit more ultrafine particles than diesel buses and are a health hazard. When CSE obtained the draft findings from CSIR it was stunned to see a very different message from the study.

CSE found out that the results of the study done by CSIR show that the emission levels of nanocarbon particles and other pollutants are very close to EURO VI emission standards. It further says that the study done by CSIR actually affirms the benefits of the CNG powered buses. The regular buses in India do not use clean diesel technology and the emissions from them are way more hazardous than those from CNG run buses.

Their own findings have shown that the conventional CNG buses in India have already achieved emissions levels for all pollutants including ultrafine particle number very close or better than Euro VI emissions standards that are yet to be implemented. Diesel buses are far behind.

CSE reported that the Indian diesel run buses emit typically about 600-2000 times more ultrafine particles compared to CNG buses. On the contrary, the CNG buses in India are already very close to the Euro VI emission standards which is 600 billion particles / kwhr; while the actual observation in Indian buses is just 278 billion particles / kwhr.

The ultrafine emissions from Indian CNG buses are higher only from the Canadian diesel bus with advanced particulate traps meeting one of the global best standards.

This motivated campaign against CNG buses in India, and defiance of what science is saying, will harm not only the CNG bus programme that has given enormous public health benefits but will also jeopardise the policy decision to leapfrog emissions standards roadmap to Euro VI by 2020 to cut dangerous diesel emissions, said CSE in a statement.

The government of India is dragging its feet in the face of strong opposition from the diesel industry. Diesel technology and fuels need the most drastic transformation in Indian transport sector today to protect public health, CSE added.

====

Now people will get confused. I am sure.

That is why I have high lighted the things that should be presented properly. If you compare things, and understand them in the way they should be understood, then you won't get perplexed!

Yes, ultrafine emissions from Indian CNG buses are relatively high - but only when compared to the ones that use advanced particulate traps. Not when compared to the vehicle emissions from diesel fuels. So the second news report says CNG buses are still safer than diesel buses.

I hope you understand it in the right way now.

Views: 138

Replies to This Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service