SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

Q: How can one cure PCOs without going to a doctor?

You cannot ‘cure’ PCOs without going for accurate analysis and identifying the root cause and the right medical assistance. That is if you really are interested in a 'cure' for its consequences.

Recent research conducted in animal models suggests that in some cases PCOS may be caused by genetic or chemical changes that occur in the womb.

Factors that might play a role for PCOs are excess insulin, inflammation, heredity and excess androgen. How do you ‘cure’ these conditions without going to a qualified doctor?

In women with PCOS, the hormones are out of balance: these women have higher-than-normal levels of androgens and may have lower-than-normal levels of estrogen. High levels of androgens can: Interfere with signals from the brain that normally result in ovulation, so that ovulation does not occur regularly. Cause the follicles—small, fluid-filled cysts within the ovaries in which eggs grow and mature—to enlarge, forming cysts. Produce other symptoms of PCOS, including excess hair growth and acne.

To be frank, there is no exact ‘cure’. But there are many ways you can decrease or eliminate PCOS symptoms. Your doctor may offer different medicines that can treat symptoms such as irregular periods, acne, excess hair, and elevated blood sugar. Fertility treatments can help you get pregnant.

So if you have PCOs, consult a medical doctor to manage it efficiently. There is no other go. Period!

Q: Is it proper for children to bunk schools and fight for climate science?

Krishna: These children are fighting for their future. Only if they have a future, they can use their education. If some elders are hell bent on spoiling that future of these children, they have every right to fight for it. I fully support them. 

Q: I recently went to a friend's home. It smelt horrible. Why is this so?

Krishna: Human dwellings should have adequate ventilation. They should be neat and clean, atleast moderately clean. 

Do they have a pet at home that stinks? If it is dark and wet, mold might grow anywhere. Old books and papers give a musty smell. Some foods, especially meats, give nauseating smells if kept outside for long.

And some human beings might give out odors that are repulsive if they sweat a lot, have bad digestive systems and fart frequently,  and bad teeth and gums give strange odours too. When there is an infection in the urinary tract of people, the urine may take on a foul-smelling odor and the toilets of  such people smell a lot.

Some synthetic materials like sofa and bed cushions give strange smells. Old rugs, mats, clothes smell dirty. Footwear might smell too. 

Old drainage pipes too smell horribly sometimes if adequate water is not use d for flushing them. 

I can think hundreds of things like this. If you are not comfortable going to your friend's home, tell him about the problem and ask him to identify it himself and get it rectified.

Q: What is the difference between clinical microbiology and medical microbiology?

Krishna: There's quite a lot of overlap and these  fields work very closely together. Usage is very often unclear and in any case the boundary is permeable and aspects are interchangeable.

Medical may refer to both clinical and research activities within medicine, but clinical refers to actually diagnosing and treating patients.  On the other hand the term medical may mean non-surgical and clinical would apply to both. Clinical is more on the side of diagnosing and treating of the patients. Medical is more inclusive and is of a broader scope with a requisite of a special degree and knowledge.

Therefore, Clinical microbiology is treated as the study of any microbes which cause infection in humans. Because they focus is on human disease, this subject is often studied by the source of the specimen from the body - particular location , type of fluid or specific body tissue. Clinical microbiology usually covers those aspects of microbiology that relate to the treatment of patients, for example, isolation of bacteria from wound infection and testing their sensitivity to antibiotics.

Medical microbiology is a branch of medical science concerned with the prevention , diagnosis and treatment to infectious diseases. Medical microbiology includes those aspects of microbiology that help our understanding of disease, for example the study of the molecular mechanisms involved in disease.

Q:What do you think about Italy's "No Vaccine, No School" Policy? 

Well, I am a microbiologist and very concerned about the propaganda of anti-vexxers .

Okay, if you don’t want your child to get vaccinated for various reasons, especially the religious ones, and think nobody has any right to say anything in this regard, and put your child in harm’s way, my heart (mind) burns. Because I know, the child is going suffer or die. My knowledge tells me I cannot keep quiet and allow the child to die. I feel like taking away that democratic right from you! Several times I feel helpless. In the US some people went to courts and courts ordered that the children would have to be vaccinated forcefully! I felt relief. Now measles have erupted in the US again because of people refusing to get vaccinated. We get annoyed. How can people take such silly decisions when you have the option of preventing diseases, why don’t they use it?

You are not only putting your child’s life at risk, but by sending your diseased child to school, you are also endangering other children’s lives too. You might have the right not to vaccinate your child and put him in danger, but you have no right to put other peoples’ children in danger.

In cases like these, I feel, your democratic rights should be taken away from you because you are putting others’ lives in danger. It is like murdering some one. Because you are refusing to see facts and causing the societies to collapse with your irresponsible behaviour.

Vaccine woes

Q: By the same person who asked the above one : 

Not all children can be vaccinated . Some children cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, and they are vulnerable to infectious diseases. If children are immunosuppresed ( because of organs transplants they had), they can’t be vaccinated, as they a re useless. Children with these health conditions usually are not advised to take some vaccines…

• with chronic diseases, such as heart disease, liver disease, or asthma
  • people with certain muscle or nerve diseases that can cause breathing problems
  • people who have compromised immune systems
  • people working or living with those who have compromised immune systems
  • children or adolescents on long-term aspirin treatment
  • egg allergies
  • people with severe reactions to vaccines

So, if you don’t vaccinate your children you might endanger the lives of other children who cannot be vaccinated.

Q: How do you avoid encounters with ghosts and the paranormal?

Krishna: Stop imagining things first. Take care of your health and other things that make your mind go awry, so that you don’t hallucinate.

Why do people imagine ghosts, see ghosts or hallucinate them?

Read the reasons here and see to it that you don’t find yourself among such things.

Science and the paranormal

Q: If you call out a person near you silently with your mind will he really get to know after sometime?

Krishna: No, there is no genuine evidence of such things happening, only anecdotal evidence, which is the lowest form and cannot be authenticated firmly to become a fact.

Science doesn’t accept such faulty and lopsided evidences.

But when emotions rule the world, people tell interesting stories and interpret things strangely. Critical thinkers just smile and move on, while believers believe them.

Do you really get the right facts when you ask such Qs? NO! Only perceptions, interpretations, explanations, beliefs, strange ‘evidences’ that science cannot accept!

This is a strange arena!

Q: Where do green tea leaves come from? Is drinking green tea beneficial to health? Are there any side affects? Do your drink green tea?

Krishna: Green or black or brown,  all come from the same plant, an evergreen shrub that grows in mountainous areas called Camellia sinensis. Because of how green tea is processed—the fresh leaves are lightly steamed or heated dry to prevent oxidation and preserve the green quality—it has a higher concentration of antioxidants than other tea types. It's these compounds, which belong to a group of plant chemicals called flavonoids, that are thought to be responsible for green tea's beneficial health effects. The most notable flavonoid is a catechin known as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG).

Drinking green tea is thought to be good for your health, but it's not yet known just how good it is for you. Although many studies have been done on green tea and its extracts (and many more are being funded), definite conclusions haven't been reached yet on whether you'll see benefits when you drink it. In many cases, studies don't make it clear if drinking green tea actually reduces the risk of certain diseases or if green tea drinkers tend to have other healthy habits that affected the results.

When consumed as a beverage, green tea is believed to be safe when used in moderate amounts. (There are, however, concerns about the potential for liver damage from green tea supplements that contain high amounts of EGCG—above 800 mg a day.) Except for decaffeinated green tea products, green tea contains substantial amounts of caffeine, and too much caffeine can make people feel jittery and shaky, interfere with sleep, and cause headaches. There's little evidence, though, of health risks for adults consuming moderate amounts of caffeine or roughly about 300 to 400 mg per day. Green tea has been shown to reduce blood levels (and therefore the effectiveness) of the drug Corgard (nadolol), a beta-blocker used for high blood pressure and heart problems. It may also interact with other medicines. Be sure to tell all your health care providers about your green tea consumption before they prescribe medicines for you.

Finally, do I drink green tea? I never even tasted any tea or coffee! Never ever!

Q: I have been diagnosed with lung cancer recently. I don't want to go for any treatment. I don't want to spend my life in hospitals, wasting my money and time. If I had to die with cancer, so be it. I want to go to my native village and spend the rest of my life peacefully among trees, green fields, mountains, rivers, birds and my loved ones. What do you think? Did I make a wise decision? What would you do if you 're in a similar situation?

Krishna: Every person has the right to choose whatever he or she wants to do with his or her life. But while taking that decision, is the person rightly informed? That is a million dollar Q!

That brings us to the question, why did you take the decision not to go for the treatment? 

I know there are several articles on the net saying that chemotherapy and radiotherapy are dreadful. But I have seen several people who went for them and are leading almost normal lives now despite their cancers. My sister's sis-in-law is a good example of the efficacy of the treatment. Her cancer went into complete remission. Her tumour was found in the first stage itself. Another example was my cousin. He had leukemia. His cancer too went into full remission.

But the success rates depend on what stage the cancer is.

I have also seen people, one of them was my closest friend's sister, who suffered a lot, lost all their property to the treatment that made no difference to their condition what so ever because of final stage diagnosis.

Now consider these things: If your cancer is in the first two stages, please consider  treatment. That is the best option. 

If it is in the final stages, still discuss with your doctor about the efficacy of the treatment. If you are fully convinced, then go for the treatment. 

If the doctor tells you there is no scope for any improvement, then you can stick with your decision. 

It is your life, you have every right to take any decision you want but take an informed decision, not a blind one driven by emotions. Discuss all the possible scenarios with your doctor, discuss with your family members, think deeply and critically and then go for the final resolution.

Q: Are there any scientific beliefs?

Krishna: 'Scientific belief' is oxymoronic.

No. We, as people of science, are highly uncomfortable with the word. Not because science isn't ever wrong, it frequently is, but but science doesn't have “beliefs”, it has theories, it has hypothesis, it has conjectures, it has many things, and indeed some people especially those not involved with the field might have belief in things they've heard. But they need not blindly believe in what they hear or read.  They can very well go and test whether what  they  came to know is a fact or not, like scientists do.

Science says, never ever believe in any thing blindly. Always ask for genuine evidence. Don't trust anything unless it is validated even if it comes from a lab or from a scientist. 

Q: Why are more females born in India? Is there any scientific reason?

Krishna: Actually the opposite is true! Haven't you heard about female foeticides? Women are forced to go for  abortions just because they are carrying female fetuses for cultural reasons! That is screwing up the sex ratio. More boys are born in India than girls. Get that right and try to correct the wrong that is going on here.

Q: What career a homeopathy doctor from India can choose in Canada?

Homeopathy ineffective, study confirms

1,800 Studies Later, Scientists Conclude Homeopathy Doesn’t Work

Another Review Finds Homeopathy Worthless

Homeopathy officially doesn't work, according to Russia's top scien...

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org...

This is what a liver transplant surgeon told me recently...

Although Homeopathy is not banned, it is regulated. Regulation and prevalence of homeopathy - Wikipedia

You are specifically asking about Canada. In Canada, a study detailing the use of alternative medicines by children in Quebec found that 11% of the sampled 1,911 children used alternative medicines, and 25% of those who did use alternative medicines (less than 3% of all children sampled) used homeopathy. The study also pointed out that homeopathy is more commonly used in children in Canada than in adults, of whom only 19% of alternative medicine users used homeopathy.

Physicians who choose to use alternative medicines such as homeopathy must follow guidelines set by their province's College of Physicians and Surgeons. Provincial health care generally does not cover homeopathy in Canada.

Q: What do you do to change the minds of people who are anti-science?

Krishna: Recently I came across this poster ...

That is the difference between rationality and irrationality. Several People say there is no use in talking to irrational people. That is bad news for science communicators like me. But still I try! Because I have confidence in myself and my methods. I am sure I can show different ways and make people think. 

So, my work goes on and on and my network is thriving. And I am doing all that I can to make people see alternate ways and think differently. My work is before you. You can judge it for yourself if you really have the capacity to do so!

Q: How do you convince an antivaxxer they a re wrong?

Krishna: There is a saying: Fools will learn from their own experiences while wise will learn from others’.

Proverbs 1:7b Fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Proverbs 1:22c Fools hate knowledge.

How do you  deal with a fool?

There are supreme values that guide people’s actions.  But fools carry with them a different scale of values.

Several of my scientist friends in the US told me they tried their level best to convince antivexxers but failed miserably ( See the pic above). They say people listen to religious priests and not to scientists! They trust misinformation more than facts given by scientists. And many are  are refusing to get their children vaccinated.

Your only child will die because you refused to get him vaccinated. You will cry your whole life.

Your child might get crippled because of polio. Then he will blame you your whole life for his condition.

Your neighbour might curse you for the conditions of his children.

Nobody will excuse you for what you have done for your society.

Suffer, suffer, suffer, suffer. All through your life. Cry, cry, cry, cry. All through your life.

If you don’t listen to scientists and other experts, we will sit and watch how much you are going to suffer. The consequences. How fools will learn their lessons from their own experiences and sufferings.

It might take some time.

But they will learn their lessons alright. But at what cost? At the cost of their own peace of mind, happiness, health, life and what not?

Aren’t we watching the measles outbreaks in the US now? How Pakistan is unable to eradicate Polio from its population?

It hurts us too. But we are living in democracies. Can we take away the democratic rights of some people? For the welfare of our societies?

Opting Out of Vaccines Should Opt You Out of American Society

Democracy in science

Q: Do scientists believe in love, faith and soul? If yes, how?

Then how do genuine scientists treat the words love, faith and soul? Like this:

(Read the articles if you really want to know)

Science and Spirituality

Soul?! What is it according to science and scientists?

The science of love -1

THE SCIENCE OF LOVE 2

Q: Can I become a physicist and a philosopher at the same time as one thing is the study of external and the other is internal?

Science and Spirituality

Q: Convince me that reincarnation is not real. Can you?

Krishna: First provide real evidence, not anecdotal one, a made up one, to show that it is real. Then I will try to falsify it. That is how science works.

If you cannot provide genuine evidence that itself is proof enough to discard the belief. That is how science works.

Oh, yes I heard this too … ‘absence of evidence is not evidence of absence’. But without providing evidence first how can I falsify it and prove it wrong?

Q: Is there a rational and scientific explanation for how astrology works?

There is a rational explanation for how Astrology doesn’t work. You can find out what it is here:

Why Astrology is Pseudo-science

Views: 168

Replies to This Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service