SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

Q: What is the difference between Newton and non Newton?

Krishna: Are you asking about Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids?

Newtonian fluids have a constant viscosity that doesn’t change, no matter the pressure being applied to the fluid. This also means they don’t compress. Examples : water, mineral oil, alcohol and gasoline.

Non-Newtonian fluids are just the opposite — if enough force is applied to these fluids, their viscosity will change. These fluids are broken up into two categories — dilatants, which get thicker when force is applied, and pseudoplastics, which get thinner under the same circumstances. Examples: Oobleck, a mixture of water and cornstarch, quicksand and silly putty also fall into this category.

Have fun with this video while learning:

Q: Are you a scientist if your discoveries, beliefs, and opinions bring you comfort?
Krishna: You are a scientist if your inventions and discoveries bring comfort to the world or if your new finding helps improve the knowledge.

You feel satisfied. Your comfort is secondary.

Beliefs and opinions have no place in the scientific world. Only data supported evidence matters.

Q: Should people blindly follow a scientist's statements without looking into what they say for themselves? Why should I believe everything a scientist says? Why are people not skeptical about everything they are told from anyone?

Krishna: No, people should not blindly follow anyone. That is against the spirit of science itself.

You need not believe what scientists say. You can fact check things said by scientists too.

But then how can you do that, as a person not as deep into the knowledge bank as a scientist is? As a person who doesn’t fully understand what scientific method is and how to verify things correctly and how to Critical Think?

Just two days back, a person here on Quora read my reply on black magic and when I said there is no evidence of black magic according to science bluntly told me I was ignorant and that he could show me people who suffered as a result of black magic as evidence!

Now anecdotal evidence is the least form of Evidence no genuine scientist would accept. It is a baseless perception of people who think they ‘re suffering because of black magic. These people imagine things, connect unrelated things, come up with all sorts of excuses for losing control over their lives and situations they are in and refuse to accept they are going the wrong way. And refuse a scientists’ methodical analysis.

That is why scientists take peer review seriously. Not a common man’s opinion and perception based arguments.

Only a person who is qualified and trained to analyse things properly can do it correctly. Others fall victims to cognitive biases , cognitive-distortions and fallacies that try to influence their thought processes.

You can reject a scientists’ analysis and challenge a scientist but beware of what you are challenging a scientist with!

The problem is not that science is being challenged, it is what it is being challenged with. And of course how it is challenged.

Q: If we have antibodies to Covid-19, does that mean that we can help Covid-19 infected people?

Krishna: There are various strains of SARS-CoV-2. If you have antibodies for the same virus as the patient, you can care for him/her. If the strain is different there is a chance of getting reinfected with it. However, this reinfection would be usually mild and very often without symptoms as you have some antibodies and immunological memory could play a role in deciding how severe the infection would be as a severe case also had been reported (4). Moreover, we don’t yet know how long our immunity lasts for COVID 19.

But if symptoms are consistently worse during a second bout of COVID-19, the immune system might be making things worse. For example, some cases of severe COVID-19 are worsened by rogue immune responses that damage healthy tissue. People who have experienced this during a first infection might have immune cells that are primed to respond in a disproportionate way again the second time(4)

Cases of patients who were infected with two genetically different strains of the coronavirus have been reported(1). Antibody tests showed that the patient did not have any detectable antibody to the coronavirus when he was reinfected but developed detectable antibodies after reinfection.

The severity of COVID-19 varies enormously from person to person, and might vary from infection to infection in the same person. Variables such as the initial dose of virus, possible differences between variants of SARS-CoV-2 and changes in a person’s overall health could all affect the severity of a reinfection.

But that shouldn’t decide your caring for others.

Just yesterday the media here reported that an 82 year old woman was abandoned by her own sons as she caught COVID 19 from one of her sons and his family(2) . Other sons too refused to care for her and left her outside her home town in the fields. Very pathetic. The son from whom she got it could have cared for her as the virus would and should be of the same strain.

I would definitely help and look after someone with COVID 19 had I got it and developed immunity to it. Even then you don’t abandon your parents like that when they need you in their most difficult times whether you have immunity for it or not. I would have taken all precautions and helped my parents in such a situation.

Don’t abandon your loved ones just because they caught COVID 19. Take precautions (3) and help them as much as possible even if you don’t have immunity towards COVID 19.

This is what happens if you don’t have adequate knowledge. You fear everything and your thoughts linger around it and it dictates your behaviour. Aren’t doctors and nurses caring for COVID 19 Patients eventhough they don’t have immunity towards the disease?

Footnotes:

1. https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-confirmed-case-reinfection....
  2. Covid-19 Effect: Sons Abandon Mother In Telangana
  3. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
  4. Coronavirus reinfections: three questions scientists are asking

Krishna: Not all ‘scientists’ can do this! Only if you get a proper training and have a highly critical thinking mind can you see not only science but the universe differently from others around you.

I will give examples here. We are a bunch of researchers working in a lab.

One of my colleagues, who is also a microbiologist, once told me not to eat pulses when I cut my finger. "Eating pulses will make the injured part gather more puss", to my utter shock!

I hit her on her head and said: "You dumb idiot, tell me what happens when you cut your finger?"

"Bacteria and other microbes will enter into your body through the cut finger", she said innocently. "They will gather around the wound".

"Then?", I asked .

"Then your WBC will fight with them"

"Next what happens?"

"Some of the Microbes and WBC that are dead during the processes will form puss".

" In fact the proteins in pulses are useful in fighting the infection!"

"Yes, I know this!", she said again innocently!

"Then why did you say eating pulses will form the puss?"

She looked at me blankly and said, "Because my mother told me that!"

I put my hand to my head and screamed, "Oh, for the world's sake, forget what your mother and grandmother told you. Use your own grey matter. What is the use of studying Microbiology if you still want to listen to what your ignorant mother says?"

That is the affect your family , loved ones and your culture will have on you! Mere science literacy cannot remove this affect on the person.
Are you shocked too? Don't be. Most of the time this is what happens. The science education you get in schools, colleges and universities will be unable to overcome the cultural conditioning of your mind done by your loved ones most of the time. People fail to use their own brains/minds to critically think what is good, what is truth and what is a myth.

Science museums, fairs and shows shouldn't be aimed at students and...

Fitting in with your friends and family matters a lot more to people than getting climate science right!

Moreover, research shows (1) that it is difficult to change when you are alone. It can be difficult for people to change aspects of their personality based on desire alone. That doesn't mean people can't make the changes they want. They just might need outside help doing so—from a professional, a friend, family, group and societies in which they live.

Research also shows (2) that life's choices like energy related decisions can be contagious and are influenced by peer's behaviour.

Science training in several parts of the world - is faulty. People treat it like coaching in car driving - learn it on the road and forget it when you go home. Science is limited to the classrooms of the schools, colleges, universities and research institutes. You can erase it from your memory as soon as you cross their gates! This is the attitude of some of the people with regard to science.

Science communicators, get thick skinned to communicate science wit...

Moreover, various cognitive biases Cognitive-distortions and fallacies effect the way you approach your science.

Only a handful of people will have the courage and ability to think think critically and differently from their loved ones and friends. And only a few amongst them will have the courage to accept the truth, stand by it and swim against the current !

Having said that the answer to your main question is: when you can see the reality happening before your eyes, when your understanding goes to the ultimate depths of knowledge, when your mind can register it correctly the way it should be done, when you have evidence before your eyes, it changes your total perception.

Footnotes

1. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-01-personality-easy.html?utm_so...
  2. https://techxplore.com/news/2020-02-energy-choices-contagious-insig...

Q: Scientists say  there is no ghost but how some time group of people see the same thing and heard same sound at same time?

Krishna: Who says ‘mass hallucinations’ are not possible?

For instance when a group of people breathing in toxic mould in an old building or face carbon monoxide poisoning from a broken furnace in a house or face elctromagnetic radiation in a palace or ‘hear’ infrasound from a device, can’t they all hallucinate and feel anxious, discomfort and uneasiness at the same time?

If you think properly and critically you will understand why this can happen. You must read this article to know the scientific facts: Science and the paranormal

Q: Did our ancestors (characters of mythology) really know aliens? And vimana shastra?

Krishna: NO and a big NO!

First there is no evidence that these mythological characters really existed.

Even if they existed, there is no way they can make airplanes because science and technology as we know it now didn’t exist then.

The Vaimanika Shastra
The Vaimanika Shastra first appeared in 
1952, even the person who first discovered it did not claim it was an ancient document but said it was a record of information discovered in the early 20th century through the supernatural process of 'channelling'.

A study by aeronautical and mechanical engineering researchers at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, in 1974 concluded that the aircraft described in the text were "poor concoctions" and that the author showed a complete lack of understanding of aeronautics. Regarding the "Rukma Vimana", the study noted, "If the craft is taken to mean what the drawing and the text say, it can be stated that the craft is a decided impossibility" (1)

Their conclusion was (summarised):

.The planes described are not the expressions of something real.

• None of the planes has properties or capabilities of being flown.
  • The geometries are unimaginably horrendous from the point of view of flying.
  • The principles of propulsion make them resist, rather than assist, flying.
  • The text and the drawings do not correlate with each other even thematically.
  • The drawings definitely point to a knowledge of modern machinery.
  • The text, is incomplete, ambiguous and self-contradictory.

Any successful flying vimana based on the Vaimanika Shastra is not possible (at least within our present understanding of aeronautics) .

Did our ancestors know about aliens? Anybody with a good imagination can visualize things. But ‘knowing aliens ‘through experience’ ‘s not possible.

Life is not so rare but intelligent life that can travel vast distances of space and visit Earth is rare. The nearest alien life would be several light years from us, if they exist in habitable zones of star systems and ‘life as we know it’ cannot survive travel through this distance.

Aliens can exist in any form. Why did/do people ‘see’/‘saw’ them only in a human form?

With so much advanced technology we couldn’t even spot communication from any aliens till now. How could our ancestors would have done it without any assistance from modern science and technology?

This answer to which the link is provided in your question is absurd and ridiculous. There is no evidence at all to such claims.

Footnotes:

1. Vaimānika Shāstra - Wikipedia

Views: 114

Replies to This Discussion

Krishna: Not all ‘scientists’ can do this! Only if you get a proper training and have a highly critical thinking mind can you see not only science but the universe differently from others around you.

I will give examples here. We are a bunch of researchers working in a lab.

One of my colleagues, who is also a microbiologist, once told me not to eat pulses when I cut my finger. "Eating pulses will make the injured part gather more puss", to my utter shock!

I hit her on her head and said: "You dumb idiot, tell me what happens when you cut your finger?"

"Bacteria and other microbes will enter into your body through the cut finger", she said innocently. "They will gather around the wound".

"Then?", I asked .

"Then your WBC will fight with them"

"Next what happens?"

"Some of the Microbes and WBC that are dead during the processes will form puss".

" In fact the proteins in pulses are useful in fighting the infection!"

"Yes, I know this!", she said again innocently!

"Then why did you say eating pulses will form the puss?"

She looked at me blankly and said, "Because my mother told me that!"

I put my hand to my head and screamed, "Oh, for the world's sake, forget what your mother and grandmother told you. Use your own grey matter. What is the use of studying Microbiology if you still want to listen to what your ignorant mother says?"

That is the affect your family , loved ones and your culture will have on you! Mere science literacy cannot remove this affect on the person.
Are you shocked too? Don't be. Most of the time this is what happens. The science education you get in schools, colleges and universities will be unable to overcome the cultural conditioning of your mind done by your loved ones most of the time. People fail to use their own brains/minds to critically think what is good, what is truth and what is a myth.

Science museums, fairs and shows shouldn't be aimed at students and...

Fitting in with your friends and family matters a lot more to people than getting climate science right!

Moreover, research shows (1) that it is difficult to change when you are alone. It can be difficult for people to change aspects of their personality based on desire alone. That doesn't mean people can't make the changes they want. They just might need outside help doing so—from a professional, a friend, family, group and societies in which they live.

Research also shows (2) that life's choices like energy related decisions can be contagious and are influenced by peer's behaviour.

Science training in several parts of the world - is faulty. People treat it like coaching in car driving - learn it on the road and forget it when you go home. Science is limited to the classrooms of the schools, colleges, universities and research institutes. You can erase it from your memory as soon as you cross their gates! This is the attitude of some of the people with regard to science.

Science communicators, get thick skinned to communicate science wit...

Moreover, various cognitive biases Cognitive-distortions and fallacies effect the way you approach your science.

Only a handful of people will have the courage and ability to think think critically and differently from their loved ones and friends. And only a few amongst them will have the courage to accept the truth, stand by it and swim against the current !

Having said that the answer to your main question is: when you can see the reality happening before your eyes, when your understanding goes to the ultimate depths of knowledge, when your mind can register it correctly the way it should be done, when you have evidence before your eyes, it changes your total perception.

Footnotes

1. https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-01-personality-easy.html?utm_so...
  2. https://techxplore.com/news/2020-02-energy-choices-contagious-insig...

Phony Karate Master - No Touch KO Debunked

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service