SCI-ART LAB

Science, Art, Litt, Science based Art & Science Communication

Q: What is the difference between knowledge in other fields and knowledge in science?

Krishna: I am glad you realized there is a difference. 

After becoming a polymath and dealing with several subjects very closely, I realized the difference.

Knowledge in other fields might depend on not only personal experiences and observations but strange perceptions, interpretations dependent on biases, fallacies emotions, conditioning of minds and things like that that effect its authenticity.

Science on the other hand, tries to protect itself from such things and invented scientific method. Knowledge in science, therefore,  is genuine evidence based and fact dependent. That is why it is highly  trust-worthy as it is close to universal truths. 

Q: Is physio-therapy science?

Krishna: It is! Why?

Clinical research in the field of physiotherapy is as important to the profession as it is to any other in the medical field. Physiotherapists rely on information from such research to augment the knowledge they have already gained through their university education and continuing education courses.

Physiotherapy programs are now using what is called “evidence-based therapy practice” as the foundation for their treatments. This is a combination of scientific research, clinical reasoning and the individual’s goals and needs. Clinical research helps the practitioner keep up to date with the latest in practice methods, technology and opportunities. Armed with the knowledge gained from clinical research, a physiotherapist can demonstrate that the methodology employed has been tested empirically, subjected to peer review and has been accepted within the rehabilitation community.

As a science-based practice, physiotherapy uses facts, theories and hypotheses and tests them against available data. Various recognised and validated tests are used to assess a patient’s muscle strength and range-of-motion. The profession itself has its roots in medical science.

Physiotherapists undergo years of rigorous training before they can become licensed to practice. You can trust a well qualified physiotherapist, not the street-corner bogus ones who claim they can do 'miracle curing'.

Q: Why do people believe in reincarnation and afterlife even though there is no scientific evidence?

Krishna: It gives people who believe in such things some sort of comfort that their departed loved ones are still there somewhere and  they can meet them again sometime. 

But people of science get another sort of comfort by going the realistic way. Like this ...

science-tries-to-strengthen-your-minds-permanently-by-making-you re...

Q: How can science defy paranormal occurences?

For every ‘experience’ in our lives there will be one natural and rational explanation and this can be done only by a scientifically inclined mind that can think critically.

Others can give hundreds of interpretations - each one based on the perception of their mind limitations conditioned by various things like culture, religion, emotion etc. Only when you overcome these limitations, you can see the facts and reality in its true form.

Knowledge in other fields might depend on not only personal experiences and observations but strange perceptions, interpretations dependent on biases, fallacies emotions, conditioning of minds and things like that that effect its authenticity.

Science on the other hand, tries to protect itself from such things and invented scientific method. Knowledge in science, therefore, is genuine evidence based and fact dependent. That is why it is highly trust-worthy as it is close to universal truths.

Science and the paranormal

Q: Can you name some anti-science concepts? Are they prevalent in this part of the world?

Krishna: Anti-vaxx, anti-GM, creationism (denying evolution), global-warming denialism, pseudo-biological justifications for racism and sexism (neuro-sexism), anti-nuclear power, scientists playing God concept. 

Are they prevalent in this part of the world? A big YES. They are prevalent everywhere. 

Q: What is the dark side of being a scientist?

The positives really outweigh the negatives if there are any based on your view point.

But one thing I feel most of the time is - ‘how good it will be if people around can understand science as well as I do!’ And I try to bring others to my world and see it in the way I do!

Q: What is the science behind thirst?

Krishna: Water is essential for life's processes. Thirst is one way of our brain telling us the water  quantity and quality in our bodies are getting low. It is an essential mechanism in fluid balance in life systems.  It arises from a lack of fluids or an increase in the concentration of certain osmolites ( compounds which play a role in maintaining cell volume and fluid balance), such as salt. If the water volume of the body falls below a certain threshold or the osmolite concentration becomes too high, the brain signals thirst.

Dehydration causes many problems in the body. To counter this there are receptors and other systems in the body that detect a decreased volume or an increased osmolite concentration. They signal to the central nervous system which in turn takes the measures to counter it. Thirst is one such countering solution.

Q: Why do co-incidences happen? Is it science or hand of God that is responsible for co-incidences?

Krishna: A coincidence is a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances that have no apparent causal connection with one another. The perception of remarkable coincidences may lead to supernatural, occult, or paranormal claims.

From a statistical perspective, coincidences are inevitable and often less remarkable than they may appear intuitively. An example is the birthday coincidence which shows that the probability of two persons having the same birthday already exceeds 50% in a group of only 23 persons!

A rational mind thinks about statistics and probabilities in such circumstances whereas an intuitive person thinks about his beliefs!

Now come to your own conclusion.

Q: How far is it true that a child when considered a prodigy is not something to cheer about rather it is a matter of worry as majority of the child prodigies never become genius?

Krishna: “Becoming genius” depends on several things. Intelligence is only a small part of it.

The IQ test is just a brief assessment of one trait. It doesn't say anything about a person's past or future potential! It is only used to match a person to an intervention. Each person has numerous opportunities to demonstrate their intellectual prowess. A single test score certainly has no impact on a person's chances of success in life.

You can't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree or a bird by its ability to swim underwater.

Read this article that gives an indepth view of intelligence …

Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined

Q: I  gave birth to a cute baby boy 10 days back through cesarean delivery. The doctor told me to eat everything. But my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are imposing several food  restrictions on me. Who should I listen to?

Krishna: The doctor, without any hesitation. What a well qualified doctor gives is science based advice. What your in-laws say is blind belief based suggestion. When you are breast-feeding your baby, you need all the nutrients that come from a variety of foods. Also to recover from your surgery, you need a good diet. Eat everything like your doctor suggested and let me assure you, you will recover soon and your baby too will be very healthy.

And any connections your folks try to make for any complications you might face with your food is just perception based and not fact based. In case you face any problems, just remember that they are in no way related to your food. Speak to your doctor immediately to get help and relief. 

By the way, congratulations and I wish you both you and your baby a healthy life ahead.

Q: Can we put some plant pots in our bedroom?

Krishna: Yes, you can!

An entire tree at night produces less CO2 than the person sleeping next to you. There is absolutely no danger from CO2 or lack of oxygen.

People say you shouldn't sleep under a tree. The reason could be -  people can be and have been killed by branches and other things falling from the tree.

Read this article for more information: how-indoor-air-can-be-purified-naturally

Q: So many people still believe in ghosts. Where have we gone wrong with our education policy? And with science education more specifically?

Where have we gone wrong? Our education doesn’t teach these things …

How to differentiate between pseudo-science and genuine science.

How to differentiate between opinions and evidence.

How to differentiate between various levels of scientific evidence

How to do Critical Thinking

How to overcome cultural, political, religious and ideological conditioning of minds.

How to overcome cognitive biases and fallacies while thinking.

How to investigate things scientifically. How to Think Scientifically.

What demarcates science from nonsense

How science explains paranormal activities : Science and the paranormal

How do you expect people who just learn ABCDs - okay, okay how a heart works or how a cell phone works ‘know more about’ all the other things?

If some people try to educate, do you know how many people show real interest here? Less than 5%!

I gave so many links above, just 1–2% who read my answer will actually click and read the articles. All the others will just ignore them.

And only a small number of people who actually read can overcome their thinking inadequacies to consider and accept what science says.

Funny. People willingly fall prey to vested interests and their exploitation. And remain in constant fear of the unknown.

Who are we to say, ‘No, you can’t, please become wise with the help of genuine science’?

Q: As a woman what difficulties do you face while dealing with science?

Krishna: What?! Why should a woman face difficulties while dealing with science? 

None, whatsoever, will be my answer to your Q. Okay, 'not more than any man faces' is my emphatic answer.

However, when people read my answers like the above one, they address me as 'Sir', instead of 'Madam'. (Sir, as expected, brilliant. I love your answer. Thanks.)

When I tell them, I am a lady, not a gentleman, their reply would be somewhat like this ... 'Sorry Ma'm. I was overwhelmed by your answer, did not notice. Please.'

Then I would smile and say ...  'Okay, okay, people usually don’t associate such answers with women. I can understand'. :)

It is actually people who make me uneasy with Qs like yours, not science. I love science and dealing with it gives me a thrill so high that I would never forego it, no matter what.

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service